Toxins are everywhere: in food, medicines, water, the air, and even in our bodies. The lymphatic system, comprising our liver and kidneys, protects us, but it could certainly use a little help. A toxin overload can cause damage to body tissue and compromise organ functioning, making you feel lethargic, irritable and not a 100% fit. If you want to learn how to detox your body, read on.
Why do toxins collect in the body?
All sorts of toxins enter our body through a multitude of different sources. As per the World Health Organization (WHO), total air pollution has gone up by 10% over the last 3 years, affecting our ability to stay healthy. Pesticides sprayed on vegetation wind up on our plates and in our stomachs, and the animals we eat also consume feed that is laced with preservatives and other pesticides. Toxins also enter our body through our skin. Cosmetics like shampoos, make-up, perfumes, and lotions contain parabens, formaldehyde, and phenoxyethanol, all of which can be toxic for the body.
Signs of a toxin overload
Before you consider a detox for your body, also make sure to look out for signs that you might have a toxin overload:
- Digestive issues: Our gut is extremely sensitive, and an unhealthy gut is the underlying cause for several health issues. If you suffer from chronic gas, bloating, heartburn, constipation, diarrhoea, it might indicate a toxin overload.
- Tiredness: Ever felt weak or lethargic despite a great night’s sleep? Chronic fatigue is often a result of a toxic build up in the body, which can cause inflammation and pain.
- Changes in mood: Toxins can also affect your endocrine systems, leading to mood swings, brain fog, depression and increased anxiety.
- Skin troubles: If you find yourself experiencing breakouts constantly, it might be because your body is telling you it needs a cleanse. A toxin overload can cause skin problems like acne and eczema among others.
- Insomnia: Our livers usually perform their duties when we sleep at night. If you have trouble sleeping and often wake up in the middle of nothing, it might be because your liver is working overtime to cleanse your body.
- Unpleasant odours: Sluggish digestion and a congested liver can cause bad breath and body odour. Instead of dousing yourself in deodorant, look for a more lasting solution like a body detox.
Tips to remove toxins: How to detox your body.
Flushing your body of toxins lets you live a healthier and easier life. Here are some simple tips on how to detox the body:
- Warm water with lemon juice: Start your day by drinking a glass of warm water with lime juice squeezed in. This combination has the power to flush out toxins from your body and can also aid in digestion
- Water: Hydrating throughout the day is also essential to your detox. Water produces saliva and helps you perspire, both of which contribute to flushing your body.
- Sleep: Sleep helps detoxify the body. The brain helps to flush out toxins when asleep so when we get adequate hours of sleep our body is naturally detoxified.
- Probiotics: Probiotics contribute to your gut health by fighting bad bacteria using the good kind. Take supplements or eat yogurt every day to make your tummy feel good.
- Phthalate and paraben-free products: Make sure your moisturizers, soaps, body wash, shampoos, hair dyes, and makeup are free from these harmful chemicals.
- Apple cider vinegar: ACV is very effective at targeting bloating and gas. Its antimicrobial properties enable it to kill harmful bacteria and aid the detoxification process.
We know ACV can taste a little funny on its own, which is why we decided to make it a little easier to take every day. Setu’s ACV Gummies are delicious, and are a prebiotic-rich natural supplement that can help you achieve your detox goals while also helping you lose weight.
What are some common misconceptions about a body detox?
Detoxification can help you shed fat: An internet search will probably show you many articles about how detoxing can help you lose weight, but this isn’t true. A detox can make you healthier by flushing your body, but it won’t help you lose fat.
Laxatives can help you detox: Laxatives help in the easier passing of stool, but they play no role in detoxifying your body. On the contrary, frequent use of laxatives may be bad for your health.
Detoxing can fix months of over-indulging: A lot of people think they can overindulge in whatever they like and then do a quick detox to restore their health. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Detoxing is something you should practice regularly, and binging will always have lasting harmful effects even with a detox.
What are some absolute no-nos if I want to complete a successful body detox?
When you’re on a detox, alcohol, tobacco, and recreational drugs are a complete no-no.
How many days should a detox last for?
A minimum period of 21 days is a great time for a detox. However, doing it for a month or two can be even more beneficial.
Can I lead a normal life while detoxifying?
Detoxification does not have any impact on your regular work life or on your recreational activities. Go ahead and live your life!